The ketogenic (ketogenic) diet is an innovative trend in dietary nutrition. The ketone diet started to gain greater popularity in 2017 and continues today.
The ketone diet is an approach to a healthy lifestyle. Preference is given to natural food products according to the needs of the human body with the presence of fats and lower carbohydrate content.
The ketogenic diet is an updated version of the low carb diet.
Principles of the Keto Diet
The main principle of the ketone diet is low-carbohydrate foods. The ketogenic diet is based on the processing of fatty acids by the body. The breakdown of animal fat that enters the body with food, without the interference of carbohydrates, is the key to a healthy diet with this method.
The low-carb keto diet is very popular with obesity, among people who want to lose weight or get in shape.
With a minimal or complete absence of carbohydrates in the body, fat burning occurs quickly and the person begins to lose weight. Fats start to be removed from the body and processed into fatty acids and then into the ketone body.
Ketone bodies are products of the breakdown of fat produced by the liver. With active energy expenditure or prolonged fasting, for energy, the body begins to break down its own stored fat.
The breakdown of fat and the formation of ketone bodies is called ketogenesis and is a totally natural process for the human body. Ketogenesis does not lead to drastic weight loss.
Characteristics of the ketone diet
A characteristic of the ketone diet is the substitution of the energy resource provided - carbohydrates for fats, or rather, decomposing products - ketone bodies. To reorganize the body and based on individual characteristics, it is necessary to reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed from 50 to 20 grams per day. It will take the body 2 to 4 weeks to fully adapt to the new nutritional system. Peak fat burning is achieved by following a balanced diet.
A distinctive feature of the ketone diet in relation to all types of diets is the limited amount of carbohydrates in the body, low protein content and the presence of fats. The daily intake of carbohydrates in the diet should not exceed 20 grams per day. Ketones, by-products of animal fats that the body uses to produce energy, must have a 2 to 1 ratio of fat to protein and carbohydrates. To maintain a normal metabolism, the body must receive large amounts of fat. 75% of the calories in your daily diet must come from fat, the rest are carbohydrates and proteins. The caloric intake of products per day should not exceed 5, 000 kcal. The diet does not limit the feeding time, you can safely eat after 18 hours.
The less a person consumes foods rich in carbohydrates, the more effective the diet is in suppressing hunger.
The main part of the daily diet should be fat, followed by protein and, last but not least - carbohydrates. The peculiarity of this diet, unlike others, is that salt intake is not limited here, which restores electrolyte balance.
In the first few days of the diet, you should gradually reduce the amount of carbohydrates consumed.
With the strict principle of adherence to the ketone diet for weight loss, a person can easily lose 3 to 5 kg of weight in one month without harming their health and reducing the amount of fat tissue.
Athletes are more likely to adhere to a cyclic ketogenic diet, burning fat, their bodies become more prominent and muscle mass increases. The reason for this change is in the transformation of the hormonal background and in the growth process of growth hormone. The principle of diet is strictly regulated with the training plan.
Benefits of the Keto Diet
The benefits of the ketone diet have already been scientifically proven and approved by nutritionists. In addition to losing or maintaining weight, the condition of the skin, hair, nails improves, the metabolism of food is normalized, the metabolism improves and immunity increases.
Studies have shown that overweight and high cholesterol people, following a ketone diet for 56 weeks, not only lost more than 25 pounds, but significantly improved their blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
With caution, doctors recommend adhering to a diet for cancer patients. It is well known that cancer cells actively feed on glucose, completely excluding them from the diet and adhering to a carbohydrate-free diet, sick cells gradually lose their activity.
For lovers of independent weight loss without a prescription, the easiest diet option is adequate - the keto lifestyle.
The ketogenic diet is widely used by athletes in sports that require high endurance: marathon, triathlon, cycling, extreme sports.
The diet promotes fat burning for efficient production of an energy source, contributing to the conservation and economic consumption of glycogen (animal starch) during prolonged intense efforts.
The obvious benefits of a ketone diet are a general improvement in well-being, emotional mood, a surge of energy, greater efficiency, greater brain activity.
The ketogenic diet is more of a healthy diet, but only healthy people can maintain it on their own. Before starting such a diet, you need to consult a specialist, he will tell you what pitfalls may exist and the best way to get out of it in case of deteriorating health.
Disadvantages of the keto diet
Compared to other diets for weight loss, the ketogenic diet is more effective, but long-term adherence can have different consequences.
The disadvantage of the ketone diet is that it is not suitable for everyone. When glucose levels are low, the body's glycogen stores are depleted. With a sudden transition from a regular diet to a ketogenic diet, many people experience dizziness, weakness and drowsiness, as well as difficulties in coordination.
If you have the following symptoms, you should stop following the ketogenic diet:
- reduced performance and impaired concentration;
- increased fatigue;
- unpleasant pungent acetone odor from the mouth;
- difficulties with the digestion process;
- low blood counts;
- frequent urination;
- persistent dry mouth;
- decreased appetite.
- deficiency of minerals and vitamins in the body.
In the context of ketone-rich nutrition, there may be an excess of ammonia in the blood, which leads to toxic body poisoning and disruption of hormone levels.
In the first week of dieting, you may experience chills or fever, fatigue, mild nausea, irritability. You need to drink as much water as possible. Symptoms usually disappear within a week and the body gradually adapts to obtain energy from fat deposits.
To adjust nutrition, special test strips are used, which show the level of ketones and glucose in the blood.
List of permitted and prohibited foods in the ketone diet
Eating like this should be approached wisely. There is a specific list of foods allowed and prohibited in the ketone diet.
First, let's take a look at what you can eat with the ketone diet:
- You can eat all kinds of meat: beef, pork, chicken, turkey, bacon.
- It is allowed to eat seafood and all fatty fish: salmon, friendly salmon, mackerel.
- A wide range of dairy products: fatty cottage cheese and yogurt, cream, cheese, butter.
- You can add any seasoning during cooking. Vegetable salads can be seasoned with olive oil or vegetable oil.
- Nuts, berries and seeds are allowed for a snack.
- Allowed fruits: avocado, lemon, lime, but if you want something different, it is perfectly acceptable.
- Chicken eggs.
- The diet should contain water, unsweetened tea, coffee, mineral water. You should drink at least 2 liters of fluid a day.
- You can drink dry wine and strong alcohol: a glass of dry wine contains no more than 4-5 grams of carbohydrates, and they are completely absent in vodka.
- Of vegetables, low-carbohydrate vegetables are preferred, according to the principle: what grows in the soil cannot be (carrot, beet, potato) and what can be above the ground (cucumber, tomato, cabbage, zucchini, chives, lettuce). All fatty foods go well with vegetables.
What not to do in the keto diet:
- all types of vegetables and grains - peas, beans, beans, corn;
- low-fat dairy products - low-fat cottage cheese, milk, cream, yogurt, fermented milk, yoghurts, kefir, sticks;
- sugar, sugary drinks, reconstituted juices, soft drinks, sweets;
- the use of snacks, snacks and cookies is unacceptable;
- all starchy vegetables: potatoes, pumpkin;
- will have to give up rice, cereals and pasta;
- white flour-based foods: pastries, muffins, croissants, breads, pastas.
It is necessary to completely exclude the consumption of sugar, some fruits and dried fruits.
Contraindications to the ketone diet
People with diseases of the nervous system, with diseases that accompany the destruction of nerve cells, patients with diabetes mellitus must be carefully approached in nutritional matters.
There are contraindications for the ketone diet for humans:
- suffering from epilepsy;
- diseases associated with disorders of Organs motor organs;
- the presence of any chronic diseases of the liver, kidneys;
- with high cholesterol levels.
The ketone diet is not recommended for pregnant women or for certain medications.
Keto Diet: Menu of the Week
Nutritionists advise using the principle of diversity. A classic example of a week's ketone diet.
- breakfast - fat cottage cheese without sugar and flour;
- lunch - any meat with vegetable accompaniment;
- for dinner - mushrooms or chicken with herbs.
- breakfast - avocado salad with sour cream;
- for lunch - meatballs with vegetables;
- at night - Grilled fish with asparagus.
- breakfast - curd salad with vegetables;
- for lunch - turkey meat with broccoli;
- For dinner, you can make an American fish salad with celery stalks.
- in the morning - scrambled eggs, bacon and fatty yogurt;
- for lunch - chicken stewed in sour cream sauce with vegetables;
- The dinner will consist of river fish.
- for breakfast - unsweetened cottage cheese;
- for lunch - green buckwheat with meat;
- at night - roasted meat with vegetables.
- breakfast - avocado salad seasoned with yogurt;
- for lunch - chicken cutlets with vegetables;
- for dinner - stews and herbs.
- breakfast - boiled eggs and fatty cottage cheese;
- for lunch - veal stewed with mushrooms;
- at night - chicken breast with fresh vegetables.
For an afternoon snack, you can eat nuts, avocados, berries, cheese and drink mineral water.
Keto diet menu recipes
The most common and simple dish on the keto menu is scrambled eggs and bacon or cheese for breakfast. For lunch, you can eat a portion of any meat with herbs, green beans. Fish can be eaten in any way with vegetables for dinner. For a snack, you can eat a handful of nuts. Portions can be large and small, as long as the body is saturated.
Here are some simple and complete meals that do not require additional snacks.
Fish salad:any fatty fish is cooked or cooked, cut into pieces, add: eggs, pickled cucumbers, onions, mayonnaise or cream20% milk, you can add some lettuce stalks.
Chicken with bacon, cooked in sour cream with mushrooms: strips of bacon are fried in olive oil or sunflower oil, removed from the pan while cooking, and the pieces of chicken are placed in their places fried breasts for a few minutes until golden brown, add: water, onionminced, mushrooms, fried bacon, sour cream, spices and everything is cooked for a few more minutes.
Cottage cheese salad:fresh cucumber, onion and Chinese cabbage are finely chopped, salt and spices are added, let stand for 10 minutes, so that the vegetables give juiceand add greasy curd, pour over-milk mixture mixed with mayonnaise.
There are several recipes for ketone diet, everyone can choose the best option for you among the allowed products.
This diet can be delicious and varied.
Abandoning the ketone diet
After finishing the course, in order not to harm your health and benefit from the ketone diet, it is necessary to gradually reduce the amount of fat consumed. To maintain your metabolism and avoid putting your body in a state of stress, you need to gradually increase your intake of carbohydrates and proteins in small portions.
Along with fats, calorie intake is reduced. Vegetables, cereals are gradually introduced into the diet, avoiding sugar and flour. The daily intake of carbohydrates in the first days after leaving the diet should be 70 to 100 grams, and it is desirable to leave the protein intake at the same level.
Drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
Nutritionists' opinions on the ketone diet
Nutritionists consider the universal ketogenic diet not only for weight loss and loss, but also recommend it to improve health. With proper and strict compliance with dietary requirements, the diet must contain: 80% fat, 10% protein and 10% carbohydrates.
Nutritionists have written more than 30 scientific articles and many years of research have shown that the ketogenic diet significantly accelerates the reduction of insulin in the blood, a hormone that promotes the accumulation of subcutaneous fat. The diet improves appetite control, the diet suppresses the production of the hormone that warms up, which causes hunger. Muscle mass remains the same, the amount of subcutaneous fat is reduced.
Scientific studies have shown that, for the treatment of certain cardiovascular diseases, the ketogenic diet is a non-drug treatment.
Eating good nutrition is not only the key to losing weight, but it also has a beneficial effect on the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, heart, liver and kidneys.
A balanced diet rich in fats and moderated in proteins and carbohydrates for a long time, promotes a healthy lifestyle, prolongs youth, helps to maintain a good physical shape. Doctors recommend walking more outdoors, a full night's sleep and there are only natural products.